Pivotal World Series Moments
Grimes Confounds A's
1931 World Series Game 7: Philadelphia Athletics @ St. Louis Cardinals
The Athletics trounced the Cardinals in Game 6 8-1 to give Lefty Grove his second victory in the Series and set up a Game 7 for all the marbles.
Connie Mack started George Earnshaw, the winning pitcher in Game 5. Gabby Street countered with 37-year-old Burleigh Grimes. The last spitballer allowed to ply his trade in the major leagues won Game 3 against Lefty Grove. Grimes was hurling with a battered little finger on his right hand, hurt by a line drive in Game 3.
Unknown to the public, Grimes had his side packed with ice to keep the inflammation of his appedicitis in check. As was his custom as "Old Stubblehead," Grimes didn't shave be­fore the game.
Street made a change in his lineup against righthander Earnshaw. "The Little Italian," Ernie Orsatti, a left-handed batter, replaced Chick Hafey, who was hitting just .167 for Series. Now the Cards could send five left-handed batters against "Moose" Earnshaw.
Despite Indian Summer weather and the prospect of a sensational deciding duel between two ace righthanders, only 20,805 attended the Saturday afternoon game. However, the gate receipts brought the total for the series to over a million dollars.

L-R: George Earnshaw, Burleigh Grimes, Andy High, George Watkins
Cards Score Two in First
The Cardinals jumped on Earnshaw for two runs in the first. 3B Andy High and RF George Watkins whacked singles. 2B Frankie Frisch sacrificed both up a base. With CF Pepper Martin at bat, Earnshaw threw a wild pitch that scored High and moved Watkins to third. Martin then walked and stole second, sliding hands first ahead of a good throw by C Mickey Cochrane. It was his fifth theft of the Series. LF Ernie Orsatti struck out, but Cochrane dropped the ball and had to throw to first. Martin took off for home and scored on 1B Jimmie Foxx's errant peg back to the catcher. If Martin hadn't stole second, first base would have been occupied, and Orsatti wouldn't have been allowed to run to the first on the muffed third strike.
Watkins' Homer Adds Two More Runs
St. Louis doubled its lead with two more in the third. High again started the rally with a Texas League single to center. Watkins smashed a home run over the right field pavillion. It was the fourth and last hit off Earnshaw, who put goose eggs on the board through the 7th before exiting for a pinch hitter in the 8th.

L-R: Ernie Orsatti, Mickey Cochrane, Jimmie Foxx, Al Simmons
Grimes Shuts Out A's into Ninth
Meanwhile Grimes outguessed and outsmarted the A's with his spitter, yielding only five hits and no runs in the first eight innings. But he was "manifestly weary" as he took the mound in the ninth. In a move unheard of in today's baseball, Street passed up a chance to pinch-hit for him in the bottom of the 8th.
LF Al Simmons walked on a 3-and-2 pitch before Foxx fouled out to C Jimmie Wilson, who caught the ball "off a field box customer's hat." Cardinals fans thought the game was over when RF Bing Miller hit a grounder to SS Charley Gelbert. Simmons was forced at second, but Miller just barely beat Frisch's relay throw to first as the Redbirds started to gallop off the field in victory. 3B Jimmy Dykes drew a walk on a full-count pitch.
Street had lefty Bill Hallahan throwing furiously in the bullpen down the left field line but stuck with Grimes. When SS Dib Williams singled off High's glove on another 3-and-2 pitch, Street still made no change even though Burleigh was "pitching in intense pain and showing it in every gesture." Rookie Doc Cramer pinch hit for P Rube Walberg. After foul­ing off several pitches, Cramer dumped a liner into short center field to score two runs.

L-R: Jimmie Wilson, Bing Miller, Charlie Gelbert, Bill Hallahan
Hallahan Gets Last Out
When Street finally called for Hallahan to face left-handed hitting 2B Max Bishop, Grimes walked to the dugout and collapsed. Wild Bill ran the count full before Bishop flied to Martin to to bring the World Series championship back to the National League for the first time in five years.
Martin later said "the ball looked like $1500 dropping in my hands." He gave the ball to Grimes.
Pepper Martin: A Baseball Biography, Thomas Barthel (2003)